Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ministry at Work: Chick Fil A

Hello everyone!

Wanted to share about my past year working part time at Chick Fil A.  I am thankful for the opportunity to work both at the church and in a secular job.  Some of you may be chuckling at the fact that I just called Chick Fil A a secular job.  Granted, many of my managers believe Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and repent of their sins, yet not everyone working there is a christian and nor everyone that comes to eat.

I personally do not have much direct contact with our guests as I am in the kitchen preparing the hot foods. My ministry to the guests of Chick Fil A includes making the extra efforts that we are serving quality food.

Living the Gospel at work isn't easy.  It is unnatural...at first.  Though living the Gospel at work can be difficult, we are called to live out the Gospel.  We are called to work our hardest to glorify God.  We are called to serve our bosses and be obedient to them.  We are called to speak the Gospel to others as well.  I believe it is easy for most of us to work hard.  It is harder to serve our bosses joyfully.  It can even be harder to actively speak the Gospel.

What does it take to actively live out the Gospel at work?  It starts with an understanding that:
1.  We are sinners
2.  We deserve the wrath of God
3.  Jesus Christ took our wrath
4.  We are called to know God
5.  We are created to be image bearers of God
6.  We are called to love others...one great way to love others is to share the Gospel of Christ that they may have eternal life!  Your co-workers may be on a path to face the wrath of God...love them and share the hope in Christ!

The fast paced work of a fast food restaurant prevents opportunities for enough time to have conversations.  Most are short conversations.  I have worked with two people that openly profess that they don't believe in God.  I have worked with one younger brother that I have been able to encourage and disciple some.  I have had some opportunities to discuss some doctrine with some of my managers.  These conversations have been a joy!  And I am challenged every day at work...the way I work represents Christ to my unbelieving friends and encourages or challenges my christian co workers to work for the glory of God.

It has been a sweet and challenging time.

No comments:

Post a Comment