Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Women's Retreat 2012




The following quotes are not verbatim:
“It’s been a nice weekend where I have met a lot of different women of a variety of ages.”
“I’ve really been trying to get to know many of the other women.  It’s not necessarily in my comfort zone to be extroverted.  This has provided a great way to get to know more women.”
“Well, I can’t spend all my time talking to you, Mary Emily; I need to meet some other people.”
“Man! There are so many women here!  I want to meet them all!”

To each of these quotes but the first (and, maybe the third one), I was very encouraging and very encouraged.  The first one came from my roommate.  To her, I promptly replied, “Duh, that’s the point.”
And it is the point. Pastor Jason and the women of the Women’s Ministry team desire to see Mathew 28: 18-20 and Titus 2 carried out among the women of Crosspoint Church.  The Women’s Fall Retreat was an attempt to begin and further develop both of these foundational verses.
Matthew 28: 18-20 begins with the Gospel.  If we don’t know it, we can’t go proclaim it.  Friday, Robin Lewis, gave a beautiful presentation of the Gospel starting with creation, moving through the fall to our redemption through Christ and finally ending with a new life of repentance and faith.  There was not a heart untouched in the room.  Unfortunately, because of the conversations—in small groups, with my roommate and with one of the most Godly women I have ever met—inspired by the night’s talk, I broke the only rule Pastor Ken gave me for the weekend:  “Don’t stay up late talking. Get some rest!”  Oops. Sorry Pastor Ken!
The second passage, Titus 2, sets a high standard for those women who are called out by God.  The passage doesn’t leave much room for interpretation and demands a certain behavior from Godly women.  As Cayce Finley and Liz Chasteen emphasized in their talks Saturday, reality often looks different from what is expected by our perfect God.  But thankfully, “God never tires in his desire/effort to sanctify us.”  He ever works at making us like Him.  One way He accomplishes this goal is in community.  We, as women, need each other to learn more about and go deeper with our God.  “Sanctification can only be worked out in the context of Christian community because the Christian life is inescapably corporate.”  This is a call to join small groups but it is also a call to have Godly women lead a younger generation in the ways of Biblical womanhood.



Krystal Brummitt and Mary Beth Oxendine did a wonderful job of describing how powerful the Gospel is.  Both women shared their testimonies inspiring women to look at the evidences of grace in their own lives as well as producing the desire for more of the one, true God; to draw near to him; to put off the old self; and to live a life worthy of His calling.
Many lessons were learned and new relationships developed all to the glory of God.  Keep a look out for future Women’s Ministry events but until then think of the women around you who you can encourage, speak truth to or humbly learn something from.  We are blessed to have so many Godly women in our church.  Seek them out.  Then prayerfully and humbly grow closer to God.





Posted by Mary Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment