A part of my responsibility as a Generation Link staffer is
serving with the student ministry of Crosspoint Church. I am now in my second year as a G-linker, and
it is rewarding to look back on the past year and a half working with these
teenagers. However, I did not always
have this perspective. When I applied
for Generation Link, I communicated my preference to work in several roles but
student ministry was not at the top of the list. Don’t get me wrong, I love teenagers and am
very grateful for the time I have been able to spend with them. Initially though, I must confess, I did not
appreciate the role I had been given. I
desired a role that would send me on the fast track towards becoming a
pastor. However, God began to work in me
and correct my selfish thinking. Generation Link, and the Christian life for
that matter, is about serving God through the local church. I was approaching it from the standpoint of
“how does this benefit me?” Thankfully God
showed me the sin of my heart and allowed me to enter my time with Generation
Link with a heart of gladness for the ministry opportunities He had given.
For lack of a better phrase, whatever cards God has dealt
you….how are you responding? Are you
struggling with bitterness and resentment because your hopes and dreams are not
playing out as desired? Don’t fall
victim to the same lie as me. Wherever
you are, whatever role you are in… disciple making is your calling and
command. Pray and fight for a heart of
willingness to serve your God and your church through whatever means are
presented. I cannot begin to tell you
how grateful I am to have worked with these teenagers during my time on staff
with Generation Link and I truly would not trade this experience for anything. Trust in God’s promise that He is “working
all things for the good of those who are called according to His purpose.” (Paraphrase
of Romans 8:28)
Written by Will Jackson.
No comments:
Post a Comment