Posted by Gray Gardner
Last weekend Crosspoint treated its Generation LINK interns to a two-day conference in Raleigh, North Carolina. The conference, sponsored by pastor and author Mark Dever's ministry, 9Marks, focused on conversion and happened on Friday and Saturday. In the span of 24 hours, we were able to sit under six sermons and 5 panel discussions from David Platt, Danny Akin, Tony Merida, Mark Dever, Thabiti Anyabwile, and Matt Chandler.
David Platt, famous for his book Radical and the Secret Church movement, kicked things off with an incredible message entitled "The Glory of God-Centered Conversion: How God saves people for the sake of His name." Platt focused on Ezekiel 36:22-32, discussing four truths from the text which connect personal conversion to global mission. I haven't heard such a powerful sermon in a long time. It was a great way to kick off the conference!
David Platt from 9Marks
Danny Akin, President of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (SEBTS), and Tony Merida, pastor of Imago Dei church in Raleigh and preaching professor at SEBTS, spoke in succession after Platt. Then, to conclude the first day, Mark Dever preached a sermon out of Acts 9-12. (If you've never heard Mark Dever read the Scriptures, you need to listen to one of his messages!)
One of my favorite sermons was preached first thing Saturday morning by pastor and author Thabiti Anyabwile of First Baptist Church of the Cayman Islands. Thabiti is by far the most encouraging person I've ever been around. He spoke so graciously with the other speakers during panel discussions, always using his words to edify others. His sermon was no different, giving encouragement and grace to all of us in the congregation.
The biggest takeaway from Thabiti's sermon was his statement that all Christians - all disciple-makers - are shepherds, and that all "shepherds should smell like their sheep." His point was that shepherds should be spending time with their sheep. They should be close to them, living among them, walking beside them through both the muck and the pastures. This challenge has encouraged me to get close to the "sheep" I am shepherding as a small group leader and staff member at Crosspoint Church.
Thabiti Anyabwile from 9Marks
After Thabiti, Matt Chandler, one of my favorite pastors to listen to from the Village Church in Dallas, Texas, closed out the conference with a sermon from Romans 8:28-32. Chandler nailed the theological significance that God works for the good of those who love him in light of the fact that He has foreknown them, predestined them, called them, and justified them, in order that he might glorify them. The depth of these realities lead Paul in Romans 8 to conclude, "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
While the plenary sessions provided ample opportunity for us to learn, I think I can speak for the rest of our team when I say that the best part of the conference was having the opportunity to talk to the speakers. I was personally able to talk with Mark Dever, Matt Chandler, and Thabiti Anyabwile. All three conversations revealed men who were - despite their near celebrity status - very much shepherds and lovers of people. They encouraged and challenged me in our conversations and displayed pastoral care in taking the time to talk. Although they likely will not remember me, I was greatly impacted by the humility and grace with which they carried themselves.
After last weekend, I hope to make reoccurring trips to the 9Marks Conference every year!
Last weekend Crosspoint treated its Generation LINK interns to a two-day conference in Raleigh, North Carolina. The conference, sponsored by pastor and author Mark Dever's ministry, 9Marks, focused on conversion and happened on Friday and Saturday. In the span of 24 hours, we were able to sit under six sermons and 5 panel discussions from David Platt, Danny Akin, Tony Merida, Mark Dever, Thabiti Anyabwile, and Matt Chandler.
David Platt, famous for his book Radical and the Secret Church movement, kicked things off with an incredible message entitled "The Glory of God-Centered Conversion: How God saves people for the sake of His name." Platt focused on Ezekiel 36:22-32, discussing four truths from the text which connect personal conversion to global mission. I haven't heard such a powerful sermon in a long time. It was a great way to kick off the conference!
David Platt from 9Marks
Danny Akin, President of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (SEBTS), and Tony Merida, pastor of Imago Dei church in Raleigh and preaching professor at SEBTS, spoke in succession after Platt. Then, to conclude the first day, Mark Dever preached a sermon out of Acts 9-12. (If you've never heard Mark Dever read the Scriptures, you need to listen to one of his messages!)
One of my favorite sermons was preached first thing Saturday morning by pastor and author Thabiti Anyabwile of First Baptist Church of the Cayman Islands. Thabiti is by far the most encouraging person I've ever been around. He spoke so graciously with the other speakers during panel discussions, always using his words to edify others. His sermon was no different, giving encouragement and grace to all of us in the congregation.
The biggest takeaway from Thabiti's sermon was his statement that all Christians - all disciple-makers - are shepherds, and that all "shepherds should smell like their sheep." His point was that shepherds should be spending time with their sheep. They should be close to them, living among them, walking beside them through both the muck and the pastures. This challenge has encouraged me to get close to the "sheep" I am shepherding as a small group leader and staff member at Crosspoint Church.
Thabiti Anyabwile from 9Marks
After Thabiti, Matt Chandler, one of my favorite pastors to listen to from the Village Church in Dallas, Texas, closed out the conference with a sermon from Romans 8:28-32. Chandler nailed the theological significance that God works for the good of those who love him in light of the fact that He has foreknown them, predestined them, called them, and justified them, in order that he might glorify them. The depth of these realities lead Paul in Romans 8 to conclude, "If God is for us, who can be against us?"
While the plenary sessions provided ample opportunity for us to learn, I think I can speak for the rest of our team when I say that the best part of the conference was having the opportunity to talk to the speakers. I was personally able to talk with Mark Dever, Matt Chandler, and Thabiti Anyabwile. All three conversations revealed men who were - despite their near celebrity status - very much shepherds and lovers of people. They encouraged and challenged me in our conversations and displayed pastoral care in taking the time to talk. Although they likely will not remember me, I was greatly impacted by the humility and grace with which they carried themselves.
After last weekend, I hope to make reoccurring trips to the 9Marks Conference every year!
No comments:
Post a Comment